The Chinese placement exam is intended for students who have studied Chinese in the past and want to start at a level other than first-year Chinese. Students who want to start from first-year Chinese should enroll directly in AS.373.115.
The placement test consists of two parts:
- Online multiple choice via Blackboard
- Follow-up interview
Students need to complete the online part of the exam (available in mid-August) prior to the follow-up interview, which is given during the Center for Language Education’s open house at orientation from 1-3 p.m. on the fifth floor of Krieger Hall.
To access the online placement exam:
- Go to http://blackboard.jhu.edu and login. If you are a JHU student, use the JHU Enterprise Authentication link (left side) and login with your JHED ID and password. If you are not a JHU student, use the Non-JHED login link (right side) to login with a guest account. Please contact Aiguo Chen if you need a guest account.
- Once in Blackboard, click the following link to be added to the Chinese Placement Test site: https://blackboard.jhu.edu/webapps/blackboard/execute/enrollCourse?context=Org&course_id=_13276_1
- Return to Blackboard and locate the My Organizations module on the Community tab at the top of the screen. (You may have to refresh the page.) Click the link for the Chinese Placement Test.
- Click the Placement Test link in the menu (upper left) to access the test.