Students who have taken German before college and plan to continue at Hopkins must take the departmental placement exam before registering for a German class. This exam is available online year-round. However, for the most accurate placement recommendation, take it just before the semester you plan to study the language.
This multiple-choice exam is delivered through Blackboard. It covers grammar, vocabulary, listening comprehension and reading skills.
To obtain placement advice and to register for a German class:
- Follow the link below and take the departmental placement test online. You may only take the exam once.
- After taking the exam, send an email to Professor Deborah Mifflin informing her that you have taken the exam and asking for permission to sign up for the class that matches your background. (See below.)
- Professor Mifflin will review your exam, respond to you, and notify the Registrar’s Office to update your SIS record and permit you to register for a German class at the approved level as soon as registration opens for your cohort.
Questions regarding the exam or your score should be sent to Professor Deborah Mifflin.
Typical enrollment based on previous exposure:
|Exposure||Course of Action|
|No previous experience||No placement test needed; sign up for German Elements I (210.161)|
|Up to one year of German in high school||Take placement exam; sign up for German Elements I (210.161)|
|Two years of German in high school||Take placement exam; sign up for German Elements II (210.162) (spring only)|
|Three to four years of German in high school||Take placement exam; sign up for Intermediate German (210.261)|
|Four to six years of German in high school or an AP score of 4 or 5||Take placement exam; sign up for Advanced German I (210.361)|
Johns Hopkins University believes strongly that every member of its community should hold the highest standard of integrity for their work and avoid academic dishonesty. You are expected to behave in an ethical manner while taking the online language placement exam.
You must take this exam without assistance from anyone and without the help of any document (notes, book, dictionary, etc.). You are allowed to take this test only once. Reproduction of the material on this test is a violation of ethical standards. Therefore, you should not discuss the questions on these tests with others nor may you provide others with the questions on these tests.
By taking the online placement test, you accept the following statements:
- I will do my own work on this test. I will not receive assistance from another person nor from books or other documents.
- I will not discuss this test with others or reproduce test questions in any format.
- I will take this test online only once.
Take the Exam
- Go to http://blackboard.jhu.eduand login. If you are a JHU student, use the JHU Enterprise Authentication link (left side) and login with your JHED ID and password. If you are not a JHU student, use the Non-JHED login link (right side) to login with a guest account. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need a guest account.
- Once in Blackboard, click the following link to be added to the German Language Placement Exam site: https://blackboard.jhu.edu/webapps/blackboard/execute/enrollCourse?context=Org&course_id=_64782_1
- When the enrollment screen appears, hit the Submit button and then press OK.
- Return to Blackboard and locate the My Organizations module on the My Institution page. (You may have to refresh the page.) Click the link for the German Language Placement Exam.
- Contact Professor Mifflin with your score and if you have any problems or questions.