Transfer Courses FAQ

How do I send an official transcript to the Office of Academic Advising?

Send an official transcript directly from your previous institution(s) to JHU.

  • Electronic transcripts are sent through a clearinghouse used by the issuing institution (Parchment, Credentials Solutions, etc.) directly to When sending an electronic transcript, be sure to use a selection that allows you to enter the correct email address.  If necessary, select the option that refers to a third-party address.
  • Hard copy/paper transcripts are sent directly from the issuing institution to:
    Office of Academic Advising
    Wyman Park Building, Suite 170 AA
    Johns Hopkins University
    3400 N. Charles Street
    Baltimore, MD 21218
  • When sending a hard copy/paper transcript, do not use a selection on a drop-down menu that does not match the address listed above. If necessary, select the option that refers to a third-party address.
  • If you are unable to send your hard copy/paper transcript to the address above, have the transcript sent to yourself through U.S. mail. When it arrives, do not open the envelope. Bring it to the Office of Academic Advising in Garland Hall, Suite 300, unopened. The transcript must remain in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution.

Must the courses I wish to transfer match a course taught at Johns Hopkins?

Transfer courses do not have to match a currently existing JHU course. However, courses should cover topics that are broadly defined as part of the curriculum at Hopkins. More information can be found by reviewing the external credit policies in the Academic Catalog.

Who determines if my credits are transferrable?

The professional advisors in the Office of Academic Advising, in conjunction with faculty, determine which courses are eligible for transfer credit toward the number of credits required for graduation.

Will my credits from AP/IB/GCE level tests count toward the transfer credit limit?

Credits from AP/IB/GCE tests do not affect your transfer credit limit.

Can a transfer course be designated as writing intensive?

You may transfer up to 6 writing-intensive credits. Please see Guidelines for Writing Intensive Credits for more information.