Exceptions to academic policies are granted only when circumstances exceed a student’s control. Ignorance or forgetting details of policy do not warrant an exception or waiver of policy.
Academic policies are documented in the Academic Catalog.
To request an exception to academic policy, email your request to Dean Jessie Martin using the following format:
- Subject Field: “Request for Exception”
- Full name
- Hopkins ID (assigned by JHU, not your Social Security number)
- JHED ID (your first initial, last name, and a number)
- Year of study (freshman, etc.)
- Cell phone number
- The relevant policy (e.g. add deadline, withdrawal deadline, change to S/U grading, etc.)
- Course number(s) and class instructor(s), if relevant
- Semester and year request pertains to, not the date of your request
- Explanation of events or conditions prompting this request
You must fully explain why this exception is deserved. Provide a detailed narrative of events, a description of a serious medical condition (including documentation), or an explanation of other conditions which prevented compliance with academic policy.
Dean Martin will review your request and consider whether granting your petition would set an equitable and reasonable precedent for other students. She will contact you and/or faculty members for additional information if necessary and then inform you by email of her decision