The Pre-Graduation Check process prepares you for the final steps of your academic journey at JHU. In preparation for graduation, you will need to confirm accuracy of your SIS record, review remaining degree requirements, and apply to graduate.
All Juniors and Seniors not graduating in May 2023 are required to complete this process.
A registration alert will be placed on your account and will be removed upon completion of the Pre-Graduation Check process. Failure to complete these steps by April 7th at noon may delay your course registration.
Starts: Monday, February 27, 2023
Alert Removal Deadline: Friday, April 7, 2023 by noon
If you are planning to graduate after May 2024, please email your assigned academic advisor for assistance.
Instructions for Pre-Graduation Check
Confirm the accuracy of your full name. Check your SIS records to confirm your full name is exactly as you want it to appear on your diploma.
- While most students use their full legal name on their diploma, you may use your chosen name. Click here for more information on using your chosen name on your diploma.
- For assistance with updating your name, please refer to these directions.
Confirm all major(s) and minor(s) you intend to complete for graduation display correctly in SIS. In SIS, click on “Registration,” then click on “Program of Study,” and make certain that the major(s)/minor(s) you intend to complete are correct.
If you need to change your program of study, you will need to take additional steps.
- In SIS, under “Registration,” find the link to “Online Forms.”
- Select the appropriate form to change your program of study. You can change one program at a time.
Review and share your degree audit. In SIS, create your degree audit and share it using the Share button found toward the top of your audit on the left.
- A communicator window will open showing that you have shared your audit.
- Your audit is the official documentation used to verify completion of all degree requirements, and it is your responsibility to ensure it is accurate.
- Reach out to the DUS of your major/minor to ensure any exceptions, if needed, are accurately posted to your audit.
- While transfer and study abroad courses do need to show on your student record, you can continue with this process without those courses posted at this time.
Apply to graduate. This step must be done after confirmation of any major/minor changes. The graduation application is an online form in SIS; under “Registration,” click on “Program of Study,” then “Apply to Graduate.” Verify the information is correct before submitting the application. All majors and minors should be correct.
Students with less than 70 earned credits may not see the “Apply to Graduate” link. If that is the case, please contact Heather Mildner at KSASadvising@jhu.edu for assistance. Please type Pre-Graduation Check in the email Subject line.
I submitted my graduation application, why do I still have a pre-graduation alert in SIS?
- After you apply to graduate, a staff member in the Office of Academic Advising will verify you completed the process correctly. After this verification, your alert will be removed. This may take a few days and does not occur outside of normal business hours.
Why do I still have an Advisor Alert?
- The Pre-Graduation Check process only removes a Pre-Graduation Alert. You are still required to see your major faculty advisor(s) to have your Advisor Alert removed in order to register for the next semester.
Am I required to meet with my faculty advisors or academic advisor?
- You are not required to meet with your faculty advisors to complete the Pre-Graduation Check. However, since you will meet with your faculty advisor(s) for spring advising, you are encouraged to use this time to resolve any lingering issues with your audit and initiate a discussion about your post-graduation plans.
- You are not required to meet with your academic advisor in the KSAS Office of Academic Advising to complete the Pre-Graduation Check.
Why can’t I create my degree audit at all?
- If you are located outside the United States, you may need to access the JHU VPN before you access your degree audit in SIS.
- If you continue to have problems, please direct your questions to your academic advisor.
I still have other questions, who should I contact?
- Please contact Heather Mildner at KSASadvising@jhu.edu for assistance. Please type Pre-Graduation Check in the email Subject line.