The Pre-Graduation Check process prepares you for the final steps of your academic journey at JHU. In preparation for graduation, you will need to confirm accuracy of your SIS record, review remaining degree requirements, and apply to graduate.
All Juniors and Seniors not graduating in May 2024 are required to complete this process.
A registration alert will be placed on your account and will be removed upon completion of the Pre-Graduation Check process. Failure to complete these steps by April 5th at noon may delay your course registration.
Starts: Monday, March 4, 2024
Alert Removal Deadline: Friday, April 5, 2024 by noon
If you are planning to graduate after May 2025, please email your assigned academic advisor for assistance.
Instructions for Pre-Graduation Check
Confirm the accuracy of your full name. Check your SIS records to confirm your full name is exactly as you want it to appear on your diploma.
- While most students use their full legal name on their diploma, you may use your chosen name. Click here for more information on using your chosen name on your diploma.
- For assistance with updating your name, please refer to these directions.
Confirm all major(s) and minor(s) you intend to complete for graduation display correctly in SIS. In SIS, click on “Registration,” then click on “Program of Study,” and make certain that the major(s)/minor(s) you intend to complete are correct.
If you need to change your program of study, you will need to take additional steps.
- In SIS, under “Registration,” find the link to “Online Forms.”
- Select the appropriate form to change your program of study. You can change one program at a time.
Download a degree audit checklist for each KSAS major and minor you have, fill it out, and send it to your faculty advisors. To download a checklist, click here and select your year of entry.
- You will need to download a checklist for each KSAS major and minor you are declaring.
- Once you have downloaded the checklist as a fillable pdf, name the document as your last name, first name, Hopkins ID.
- Complete the form to the best of your ability and email to your faculty advisor(s), unless the department has instructed you differently.
- Connect with your faculty advisor to ensure they have reviewed your checklist and confirm that your advisor has sent your checklist to the advising office.
Apply to graduate. This step must be done after confirmation of any major/minor changes. The graduation application is an online form in SIS; under “Registration,” click on “Program of Study,” then “Apply to Graduate.” Verify the information is correct before submitting the application. All majors and minors should be correct.
Students with less than 70 earned credits may not see the “Apply to Graduate” link. If that is the case, please contact Heather Mildner at KSASadvising@jhu.edu for assistance. Please type Pre-Grad Check in the email subject line.
I submitted my graduation application, why do I still have a pre-graduation alert in SIS?
- After you apply to graduate, a staff member in the Office of Academic Advising will verify you completed the process correctly. After this verification, your alert will be removed. Please remember, we also must verify the receipt of each checklist(s) from your faculty advisor(s). This may take a few days and does not occur outside of normal business hours.
Why do I still have an Advisor Alert?
- The Pre-Graduation Check process only removes a Pre-Graduation Alert. You are still required to connect with your major faculty advisor(s) to have your Advisor Alert removed in order to register for the next semester.
Am I required to meet with my faculty advisors or academic advisor?
- Your KSAS faculty advisors will need to review and send completed checklists to the advising office. It is likely that meeting with them will help expediate this process.
- You are not required to meet with your academic advisor in the KSAS Office of Academic Advising to complete the Pre-Graduation Check. *Be sure that your faculty advisor has sent your completed checklist(s) to the academic advising office.
I still have other questions, who should I contact?
- Please contact Heather Mildner at KSASadvising@jhu.edu for assistance. Please type Pre-Graduation Check in the email Subject line.