Hopkins undergraduates who enter the Krieger School at Johns Hopkins University from high school are permitted to transfer a maximum of 12 credits of approved courses. These courses may be taken at other college campuses prior to matriculation and/or in summer school at other colleges after matriculation. These 12 credits do not include AP/IB/GCE credits.

  • Students are required to complete 100 credits through JHU.
  • There is no limit on the number of credits students may earn through the JHU Summer School program.
  • You must be a matriculated student to have course credits taken from another institution evaluated as possible credits to be transferred to your JHU transcript.

View the external credit policies in the Academic Catalog.

To Have a Course Evaluated

  1. You will need the following information to complete the form successfully:
    • Your name, your JHU email, your year of study, and six-character Hopkins ID.
    • The name and location of the institution where you took the course. We call this the Host Institution.
    • The course name at the host institution.
    • The course number at the host institution.
    • The course credits for each course, as assigned by the host institution.
    • The calendar system at the host institution during which courses was offered, i.e.: semester, quarter, or units system.
    • If this course is a science course, does it include a lab embedded in the lecture course?
    • Additionally, you will need to upload an electronic copy of the course syllabi. An electronic syllabus for each class you wish to have evaluated must be uploaded.
    • For all economics, math and chemistry courses, you must provide a topical breakdown for the course. If this is not on the syllabus, please have this available to add to your request.
  2. Go to SIS > Registration > Online Forms > External Course Request Form. Fill out the form and press Submit.
  3. Send an official transcript from the Host Institution. An official transcript is a transcript sent directly from the issuing institution to Johns Hopkins University . See the Transfer Courses FAQ page for more detailed instructions.
  4. Wait to hear back from the Office of Academic Advising.
  5. Questions should be emailed to [email protected].

Writing Intensive Designation

You may receive up to 6 credits writing intensive designation for courses that have already transferred. You’ll find more details on the guidelines for writing intensive credit, how to request this designation and the link to the request form here: Transfer Courses FAQs