Krieger School undergraduate students who wish to take a course at another college and then transfer those credits to JHU should follow the six-step pre-approval process, detailed below.

Pre-approval Process Timeline

TermCourse Starts InLatest One Should Submit
Pre-Approval Request
SummerLate May/JuneMay 1
SummerJulyJune 1
FallFall SemesterAugust 1
WinterJanuaryDecember 1
SpringSpring SemesterDecember 1
OngoingSelf-paced4 weeks prior to start of course

Students are expected to obtain pre-approval before taking a course at another institution. There are many steps in the JHU transfer course evaluation process, and it can take up to 6 weeks for a course to be evaluated. It is possible that the course you submit for evaluation is denied eligibility for transfer to JHU. Therefore, it is recommended that you complete the process outlined below at least 4 weeks, if not 6 weeks, prior to any tuition payment deadlines of the host institution.

Students who are planning to return to their home country to take a summer course or intersession course should complete a special application called Home Country Study (Intersession/Summer)

It is important to understand that transfer course approval is not guaranteed. Course requests may be denied for transfer eligibility at the discretion of Johns Hopkins University, its faculty and staff.

If you have already completed a course without pre-approval, please be aware that the course may not be eligible for transfer. To have the course evaluated for post-approval, follow the directions on the Incoming first-years page.

Please note: Johns Hopkins cannot be held accountable for tuition charges accrued at a host institution. It is in your best interest to start the transfer request process early to allow for adequate time for the course to be evaluated by JHU faculty and a response to your request to be sent. Doing so will allow you to make decisions, based on the outcome of your request, about enrolling for a course and taking on an added financial responsibility at the host institution.

General Transfer Credit Information

  • Students may transfer a maximum of 12 external credits to JHU. You may submit more than 12 credits worth of courses for review/approval, but of the approved courses, you must choose which to transfer so that you do not exceed 12 credits.
  • A grade of “C” or better is required to transfer the credit, but the grade will not be included in your GPA.
  • Students pursuing the pre-med track should consult with the Office of Pre-Professional Advising concerning transfer courses.

Writing Intensive Designation

You may receive up to 6 credits writing intensive designation for courses that have already transferred. You’ll find more details on the guidelines for writing intensive credit, how to request this designation and the link to the request form here: Transfer Courses FAQs

Pre-approval Process for Permission to Transfer Courses

  1. Gather the following information to complete the form successfully:
    • Your name, your JHU email, your year of study, and six-digit Hopkins ID.
    • The name and location of the host institution – the host institution is where you wish to take the course.
    • The course name at the host institution.
    • The course number at the host institution.
    • The course credits assigned by the host institution.
    • The calendar system at the host institution awards: semester, quarter, or units system.
    • If this course is a science course, does it include a lab embedded in the lecture course?
  2. An electronic syllabus for each course you wish to have evaluated must be provided as part of your request so reach out to the host institution to have one sent to you before moving on to Step #3.
  3. Go to SIS > Registration > Online Forms > External Course Request Form. Fill out the form and press Submit.
    Important: Students who are planning to return to their home country to take a summer course or intersession course should complete a special application called Home Country Study (Intersession/Summer)
  4. For all economics, math and chemistry courses, you must provide a topical breakdown for the course. If a topical breakdown is not already in the syllabus, please have it available to add to your request.
  5. Monitor your JHU email every day after submitting the evaluation request. You will receive an update email from either your advisor or SIS. If the email is generated by SIS, the Subject of the email will be something like “External Course Request Decision.” This email may instruct you to take action – do not delay in completing the action as inaction on your part WILL stall the approval process. Remember: it is possible that your request to transfer the course may be denied, so be ready with an alternative plan. 
  6. All students, including graduating seniors, should request that an official electronic transcript be sent directly to [email protected] immediately after your grade has been posted by the host institution. The preferred mode for the official transcript to be sent to JHU is electronic, however we understand that not all colleges and universities offer their official transcripts to be sent via secure email transmission. Therefore, if the institution requires you to provide a US Postal address (for paper transcripts) please use the address provided below:

Preferred mode, electronic, via email:
[email protected] (choose 3rd party)

Mailing address if needed:
Johns Hopkins University
Office of the Registrar
3400 N. Charles Street
Garland Hall, Suite 75
Baltimore, MD 21218