Krieger School undergraduate students who wish to take a course at another college and then transfer those credits to JHU should follow the six-step pre-approval process, detailed below.
Please note: Pre-approvals are evaluated in the order in which they are received. Given the current volume of requests, there is no guarantee that a request submitted very close to the start of a course will be evaluated before the course begins.
Students are expected to obtain pre-approval before taking a course at another institution. If you have already completed a course without pre-approval, please be aware that the course may not be eligible for transfer. To have the course evaluated, follow the directions on the Incoming Freshmen page.
Please note: students who are planning to return to their home country to take a summer course must register with the Hopkins travel registry.
General Transfer Credit Information
- Students may transfer a maximum of 12 external credits to JHU.
- A grade of “C” or better is required to transfer the credit, but the grade will not be included in your GPA.
- Students pursuing the pre-med track should consult with the Office of Pre-Professional Advising concerning transfer courses.
- More information can be found by reviewing the external credit policies in the Academic Catalog.
Preapproval Process for Permission to Transfer Courses
- For each course you wish to have evaluated, please complete the Transfer Course Pre-Approval Request Form. Section 1 and 2 (and 2a, if needed). Two courses per form.
- Your name and six-digit Hopkins ID.
- The name of the host institution. This is the institution where you wish to take the course.
- The number and name of the course at the host institution.
- The course credits assigned by the host institution.
- Whether the host institution is on a semester or quarter system.
- If this course is a science course, does it include a lab embedded in the lecture course?
- If the lab is a separate enrollment, please list it on a separate form.
- “Print” the form as a PDF and save as Last Name, First Name Pre-Approval Form
- Please note: students who are planning to return to their home country to take a summer course must register with the Hopkins Travel Registry
- Please note, if you have approval of more than 12 credits because of multiple approvals, you may only choose 12
- Get an electronic course description and/or Syllabus.
a. A complete syllabus with topical breakdown is REQUIRED for all MATH and CHEMISTRY courses
- Email the Pre-Approval form you saved and the syllabus (math and chemistry) or course description (all other courses), as attachments, to firstname.lastname@example.org . You do not need any signatures from the DUS or major/minor departments. Please give your email the subject line “Pre-Approval request.”
- All students will be notified via email regarding your request for approval. This process could take longer than expected.
- When your grade is posted at the end of the term, you must request that the host institution send a transcript to the JHU Registrar, but electronic is preferred. All graduating seniors should send transcripts directly to email@example.com
Johns Hopkins University
firstname.lastname@example.org (choose 3rd party)
Office of the Registrar, Garland Hall, Room 75
3400 N. Charles St
Baltimore, MD 21218