Krieger School undergraduate students who wish to take a course at another college and then transfer those credits to JHU should follow the six-step pre-approval process, detailed below.
Please note: The deadline to submit a pre-approval request for summer courses that begin in June is May 1. The deadline to submit a pre-approval request for summer courses that begin in July is June 1. The deadline to submit a pre-approval request for fall courses is August 1. The deadline to submit a pre-approval request for winter or spring courses is December 1. Ongoing self-paced: 4 weeks prior to start of course
Students are expected to obtain pre-approval before taking a course at another institution. If you have already completed a course without pre-approval, please be aware that the course may not be eligible for transfer. To have the course evaluated for post-approval, follow the directions on the Incoming Freshmen page.
Please note: Students who are planning to return to their home country to take a summer course or intersession course should complete a special application called Home Country Study (Intersession/Summer)
General Transfer Credit Information
- Students may transfer a maximum of 12 external credits to JHU.
- A grade of “C” or better is required to transfer the credit, but the grade will not be included in your GPA.
- Students pursuing the pre-med track should consult with the Office of Pre-Professional Advising concerning transfer courses.
Writing Intensive Designation
You may receive up to 6 credits writing intensive designation for courses that have already transferred. You’ll find more details on the guidelines for writing intensive credit, how to request this designation and the link to the request form here: Transfer Courses FAQs
Preapproval Process for Permission to Transfer Courses
- Go to SIS > Registration > Online Forms > External Course Request Form. Fill out the form and press Submit.
- You will need the following information to complete the form successfully:
- Your name, your JHU email, your year of study, and six-digit Hopkins ID.
- The name of the host institution and where it is located. This is the institution where you wish to take the course.
- The course name at the host institution.
- The course number at the host institution.
- The course credits assigned by the host institution.
- The calendar system at the host institution awards: semester, quarter, or units system.
- If this course is a science course, does it include a lab embedded in the lecture course?
- Please note:
- Students who are planning to return to their home country to take a summer course or intersession course should complete a special application called Home Country Study (Intersession/Summer)
- If you have approval of more than 12 credits because of multiple approvals, you may only choose 12.
- Provide an electronic syllabus for each class you wish to have evaluated.
- For all math and chemistry courses, you must provide an electronic topical breakdown for the course. If a topical breakdown is not already in the syllabus, please have it available to add to your request.
- All students will be notified via email regarding your request for approval. This process could take longer than expected.
- All students, including graduating seniors, should request that an official electronic transcript be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org immediately after your grade has been posted by the host institution. The preferred mode for the official transcript to be sent to JHU is electronic, however we understand that not all colleges and universities offer their official transcripts to be sent via secure email transmission. Therefore, if the institution requires you to provide a US Postal address address (for paper transcripts) please use the address provided below:
Preferred mode, electronic, via email:
email@example.com (choose 3rd party)
Mailing address if needed:
Johns Hopkins University
Office of the Registrar
3400 N. Charles Street
Garland Hall, Suite 75
Baltimore, MD 21218