Krieger School undergraduate students who wish to take a course at another college and then transfer those credits to JHU should follow the six-step pre-approval process, detailed below.
Please note: Pre-approvals are evaluated in the order in which they are received. Given the current volume of requests, there is no guarantee that a request submitted very close to the start of a course will be evaluated before the course begins.
Students are expected to obtain pre-approval before taking a course at another institution. If you have already completed a course without pre-approval, please be aware that the course may not be eligible for transfer. To have the course evaluated, follow the directions on the Incoming Freshmen page.
Please note: students who are planning to return to their home country to take a summer course must register with the Hopkins travel registry.
General Transfer Credit Information
- Students may transfer a maximum of 12 external credits to JHU.
- A grade of “C” or better is required to transfer the credit, but the grade will not be included in your GPA.
- Students pursuing the pre-med track should consult with the Office of Pre-Professional Advising concerning transfer courses.
Preapproval Process for Permission to Transfer Courses
- Please complete the External Course Review Request Form. You may request review of four courses per electronic form.
- You will need the following information to complete the form successfully:
- Your name, your JHU email, your year of study, and six-digit Hopkins ID.
- You will need to know if you have ever transferred a course to JHU (see your unofficial transcript)
- The name of the host institution and where it is located. This is the institution where you wish to take the course.
- The course name at the host institution.
- The course number at the host institution.
- The course credits assigned by the host institution.
- The calendar system at the host institution awards: semester, quarter, or units system.
- If this course is a science course, does it include a lab embedded in the lecture course?
- Please note:
- Students who are planning to return to their home country to take a summer course must register with the Hopkins Travel Registry.
- If you have approval of more than 12 credits because of multiple approvals, you may only choose 12.
- An electronic syllabus for each class you wish to have evaluated. You must save it as your last name, your first name, the course number, the course name, and the school initials in order to upload the syllabi successfully.
- All students will be notified via email regarding your request for approval. This process could take longer than expected.
- All graduating seniors should request that an official electronic transcript be sent directly to email@example.com immediately after your grade has been posted by the host institution. All other students must also request an official transcript but should have it sent to the JHU Registrar. While it is acceptable to request a paper transcript be sent, the preferred method of sending transcripts to the Registrar’s Office is electronic.
Johns Hopkins University
firstname.lastname@example.org (choose 3rd party)
Office of the Registrar, Garland Hall, Room 75
3400 N. Charles St
Baltimore, MD 21218