Incoming Freshmen

Hopkins undergraduates who enter the Krieger School at Johns Hopkins University from high school are permitted to transfer a maximum of 12 credits of approved courses. These courses may be taken at other college campuses prior to matriculation and/or in summer school at other colleges after matriculation. These 12 credits do not include AP/IB/GCE credits.

  • Students are required to complete 100 credits through JHU.
  • There is no limit on the number of credits students may earn through the JHU Summer School program.

More information can be found by reviewing the external credit policies in the Academic Catalog.

To Have a Course Evaluated

  1. Email a course description or syllabus to For all mathematics and chemistry courses, you must provide a syllabus with specific topics covered. Please give your email the subject line “New Freshman Transfer Credit Request.”
  2. Send an official transcript. An official transcript is a transcript sent directly from the issuing institution to the Office of Academic Advising at Johns Hopkins University. See the Transfer Credits FAQ page for detailed instructions.
  3. Wait to hear back from the Office of Academic Advising.