Students who have taken Italian before college and plan to continue at Hopkins must take the departmental placement exam before registering for an Italian class. This exam is available online year-round. However, for the most accurate placement recommendation, take it just before the semester you plan to study the language.
The Italian placement exam is divided into three parts. Your previous knowledge of Italian will determine which parts of the exam you will need to take:
|Exposure||Course of Action|
|Little or none||No placement exam needed; sign up for Italian Elements I (210.151)|
|One to two years of Italian instruction, or have spent at least two months in Italy, or want to register for Italian Intermediate I||Take part I of placement exam|
|Three to four years of Italian instruction, or have spent at least six months in Italy, or want to register for Italian Intermediate II or Italian Advanced I||Take parts I and II of placement exam|
|Five or more years of Italian instruction, or have spent more than a year in Italy, or want to register for Italian Advanced II or the Corso di Perfezionamento||Take parts I, II, and III of placement exam|
To register for an Italian class:
- Follow the link below and take the departmental placement exam online.
- You will receive your exam score and enrollment recommendation within seven business days after taking the exam. You may to register for an Italian class at the approved level as soon as registration opens for your cohort.
- Questions regarding the exam or your score should be sent to Professor Alessandro Zannirato.
Johns Hopkins University believes strongly that every member of its community should hold the highest standard of integrity for their work and avoid academic dishonesty. You are expected to behave in an ethical manner while taking the online language placement exam.
You must take this exam without assistance from anyone and without the help of any document (notes, book, dictionary, etc.). You are allowed to take this test only once. Reproduction of the material on this test is a violation of ethical standards. Therefore, you should not discuss the questions on these tests with others nor may you provide others with the questions on these tests.
By taking the online placement test, you accept the following statements:
- I will do my own work on this test. I will not receive assistance from another person nor from books or other documents.
- I will not discuss this test with others or reproduce test questions in any format.
- I will take this test online only once.
Take the Exam
You are allowed to take this exam only once. If you start the exam, you will have to complete all applicable parts without taking a break. You should allow for at least 45 minutes per part. (For example, if you are required to take parts I and II, you will need about 1 hour and 40 minutes.) The maximum time allowed for each part is 60 minutes. Please contact Alessandro Zannirato for the exam link.