Students who have taken Spanish before college and plan to continue at Hopkins must take the departmental placement exam, called Webcape, before registering for a Spanish class. This exam is available online year-round. However, for the most accurate placement recommendation, take it just before the semester you plan to study the language.
This multiple-choice exam is individualized (self-adjusting to the student’s level) and is not timed. It covers grammar, vocabulary and reading skills.
To register for a Spanish class:
- Read the ethics statement below and then take the departmental placement exam online. You may only take the exam once.
- After taking the exam, send an email to Professor Loreto Sanchez asking for permission to sign up for the class that matches your score.
- Professor Sanchez will notify the Registrar’s Office to update your SIS record and permit you to register for a Spanish class at the approved level as soon as registration opens for your cohort.
This placement exam should take approximately 50 minutes to complete. Allow yourself sufficient time to complete the entire exam at once. The results of this exam are subject to review of the corresponding course coordinator, who might find it necessary to place you in a different level of Spanish. In the meantime, however, you should register for the level determined by the outcome of this placement exam.
You must register with your JHU email. Questions regarding the exam or your score should be sent to Professor Loreto Sanchez.
Johns Hopkins University believes strongly that every member of its community should hold the highest standard of integrity for their work and avoid academic dishonesty. You are expected to behave in an ethical manner while taking the online language placement exam.
You must take this exam without assistance from anyone and without the help of any document (notes, book, dictionary, etc.). You are allowed to take this test only once. Reproduction of the material on this test is a violation of ethical standards. Therefore, you should not discuss the questions on these tests with others nor may you provide others with the questions on these tests.
By taking the online placement test, you accept the following statements:
- I will do my own work on this test. I will not receive assistance from another person nor from books or other documents.
- I will not discuss this test with others or reproduce test questions in any format.
- I will take this test online only once.